Family Beach Photo 2014

Family Beach Photo 2014

Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Like Warm Hugs

Bubble fun at the baseball field
Three weeks ago I was sitting on the floor in the playroom watching 6 children get to know each other as siblings.  They were all excited, eager, and on their best behavior.  The first night home was sweet for all of us, and we all slept well because we were exhausted from 2 years of waiting, 1 week of frantic last minute preparations, and two days of travel to get everyone under one roof.
Sisters on the slide
Tonight, three weeks later, we have achieved another major milestone.  Actually this week we have achieved several.  Naomi has started translating from creole to English for me when I don't understand Joanna. It is pretty funny because she watches me labor to try to figure things out and then after a few minutes if I appeal for help she looks t me like, "Really mom?"  and tosses out the translation I need. Both of the girls have learned that if they do not prefer a food it is okay to try it and not eat it, but it is also okay to eat vegetables and admit that you like them!!  Naomi ate a salad tonight for the first time!   And we even have had sibling arguments.  We have had to rearrange some kids so that the two that are at odds are no longer in the same row.  Though it is frustrating that they bicker, it is a true sign that we are all feeling normal around here.
Joanna organizing everyone's water bottles today
By far though, the greatest gift of this week came at bedtime tonight.  My heart was first warmed when a request was made to read books before bed (I am a book lover so this was a step in the right direction!).  After reading a whole pile of favorites, I tucked Joanna into bed and for the first time she reached up and hugged me and offered a kiss.  Until now I have tucked her in and kissed her forehead, but today I got my first bedtime hug and kiss.  Love-just pure love.  I had never realized how much I take for granted when one of my kids reaches out for a hug until tonight.
These simple advances have come with plenty of small set-backs (attempt at family photos last night...not so much, first trip to Dollar store....not so much, trying blueberries...not so much)  but those things are minor compared to the growth we are seeing in ALL of us.


1 comment:

  1. Getting a kiss goodbye from both of the girls last night as I left your house made me smile all the way home...Love Nana

    ReplyDelete