Family Beach Photo 2014

Family Beach Photo 2014

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Below the Surface

Sick swimmer working puzzles
Puzzles and pattern blocks to start our day
With one sick swimmer today we were homebound.  Three kiddos headed off to the pool (thanks grandmas and friends who helped!)   two little sisters  and one sick brother stayed home with mom.  What better time to start school than today?  Though there was a little resistance at first, we managed to get two hours of schooling under our belts.  I will admit that I was frustrated that my girls did not eagerly jump to the table to sit and engage with me in all of the things I had planned. (I know, I am Pollyanna.  I get it from my mom) With some persistence, though, we got things going in the right direction.  It has become apparent that I will be able to start fresh with teaching the girls.  There is much ground to cover.  Initially I thought that there might be lack of interest in school things, but today I was able to peel back just enough layers to see that there is a hunger and a thirst for learning that has just been pushed aside.  What came across as indifference was just insecurity. Throwing a puzzle piece did not mean, "I dislike puzzles."  It meant "I feel like I should know how to do this but I just don't understand.  Please help me and cheer for me."    What looked like lack of comprehension was just a cry for kind words of praise and encouragement. Pushing the activity away with a furrowed brow didn't mean "Let's be done now."  It really meant, "If you let me sit on your lap I will have enough courage to try it again."  As time passed and we worked through several simple activities it became apparent that the girls were gaining confidence as we worked.
Hey sisters, Look what I did!

We may not have accomplished any major content mastery, but we did lay a simple foundation:
 I will help you 
It is okay if you are wrong
I will not laugh at you are tease you

As we sat and worked our way through 8 puzzles in a row I saw more and more smiles, laughter, and joy coming through.  She was so proud she even asked me to take pictures so she could show the big sisters when they got home.  

On the outside things may look one way, but today I was reminded that we need to dig just a little deeper to see what is really just under the surface.

Also a few extra photos of how things have been going!
Listening to Frozen together




Scooping and pouring in our rice bins!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this little glimpse into your day. Love seeing how God has prepared you for this. Love your heart. Love seeing Gods hand. Love those babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each day there are more and more smiles and sometimes more and more resistance...both showing that the girls are feeling more at home and much more secure in the love of their "forever family"...keep up the good work, Pollyanna

    ReplyDelete