Family Beach Photo 2014

Family Beach Photo 2014

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Another first....camping!

Girls Only Popcorn Party in the tent!!
When we introduced the idea of camping to Naomi and Joanna they were simultaneously excited and hesitant.  Naomi's initial response was, "Sleeping outside?  No, the monkeys are gonna eat me!"   However, when her sisters explained that it was safe and that we would sleep in a tent ("little house outside") she warmed to the idea.   All day Friday the girls were giddy with excitement, especially since this was a girls-only outing.  We packed the car and drove off to the campsite with eager faces pressed to the windows who asked  every 5-7 minutes, "Is this camping?"  Nope.  this is the highway.  "Is THIS camping???"  Nope.  This is traffic.
They really had no idea what to expect, but once we pulled up and they saw their cousins, a fire, and their "little house" they were thrilled.  Abigail and Elizabeth were enthusiastic big sister as they helped set up the tent and teach their little sisters how we do camping.  After dinner and Uncle Dean's amazing cobbler and ice cream (yes, we took ice cream camping!)  we broke out glow sticks and decorated ourselves.  Immediately the girls were ready for bed (mostly they were excited to hang out in their tent) so we moved into  the tent just as the rain set in.  The glow sticks became tent decorations and we invited cousin Lydia over for a popcorn party.
As we settled in for the night, I encouraged the girls to listen carefully to see what they could identify  as we snuggled into our sleeping bags.  Naomi loved the quiet of the night and the sounds of the bugs, frogs, and other night critters that we could hear.  "Oh mom, its beautiful.  God made all of that!"
We expected rain not just because it was foretasted but because it always rains when I camp.  What I did not expect was that that the girls would sleep right through all of it without stirring all night. (Which is more than I can say for myself due to the tree root under my right hip!)
The girls were all smiles as they woke up.  Joanna sat straight up and said to Abigail, "Where's my mom?"  ( I love that she always refers to me as "My mom.")
A few rounds of pre-bedtime UNO before the rain set in
After breakfast we enjoyed a time of worship with all of our fellow Trailsmen and AHG troop members.  "How Great Thou Art" sounded amazing with my girls all around me in an outdoor amphitheater as the sun broke through after a long night of rain.  The best part was that Naomi told me afterward that she knew that song and I was able to tell her that God knew she would be there for that very moment and that HE gave her the gift of a song she knew.  Her face lit up at the thought of a God who loved her enough to provide a familiar song in the midst of this unfamiliar experience.
I have to say that I am proud of my two youngest girls.  They stepped out to try something new and were all smiles the whole time.  I never heard a complaint, a whining voice, or a request to be doing something else. Manners were amazing, good choices were made, and the sisters bonded even more.  Though this could have been met with resistance and fear, God blessed us with peace and trust.    Their trust earned them a new favorite pasttime......a camping we will go!!

1 comment:

  1. It is AMAZING how many new life experiences that you have already been able to expose the girls to....there are many kids who have grown up in the US who have never done some of the things that Naomi and Joanna have been able to do in just the three short months they have been here. I am so blessed that I have been able to share in most of these experiences with them and to see their excited reactions to all they are blessed with here in America....their biggest blessing being that they are members of TEAM YOHO. Love-Mom/Nana

    ReplyDelete