Family Beach Photo 2014

Family Beach Photo 2014

Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Picture Is worth a Thousand Words

This simple picture was invaluable to me today.

1.  For the first time, when we came home from co-op today Naomi had an "agenda."  She was tired from a long morning of meeting new people, taking new classes, and trying new things. A month ago she would have gone to rest in her bed, worn out from so much new-ness and unsure of how to pass time.  Today she had a "down time" agenda for when she got home.  For the first time she went to play at HER house with HER stuff in a way that suited HER.
2.  Her "down time" activity was playing school!  No big deal.  Every little girl does it, right? When she was teaching her dolls to write letters and numbers today it showed that she likes school.  It was something she enjoys doing and something she was willing to model in her play.  (and she is a very kind and gentle teacher).
3.  It showed me that even though this was a tough week, that God is providing growth and grace in each day for us.  I was very overwhelmed earlier this week.  It was hard for me to see how this was actually going to be a sustainable system (the educating of 6 children).  I was overwhelmed with how much work was not getting done and how I would continue down this road for the next 29 weeks and somehow have all of my students know all that they need to know (and have a clean house too).  I realized that the source of most of my stress is that it is hard to project how things will be going two weeks from now or a month from now.  I don't know what we will be ready for.  In talking with a friend this week I likened this to when you have an infant.  Their schedule and capabilities are constantly changing.  Just when you think that you will never be able to make it out the door in a timely manner, their routine changes and all of a sudden you can go anywhere and often even be on time!  I feel like we are in a constant state of flux right now.  What might overwhelm us this week will be easy next week.  The language we didn't have three weeks ago is now fully in place and serving great purposes this week.  That constant change is a great gift.  It means that when things are tough, they will change.  Today I was thankful that this change brought about a quiet and contented spirit who enjoyed an afternoon at home in the way that every little girls should!

1 comment: